- Carrot- 3/4 cup
- Potato – ½ cup
- Green peas- 1/4 cup
- Cauliflower- 1/2 cup
- Beans – 1/2 cup
- Cheese – 1/2 cup + 2 tbsp
- Butter – 3 tbsp
- Naturals Malai ice cream – 5 Scoops (450g)
- Flour – 2 tbsp
- Pepper (crushed) – ½ teaspoon
- Nutmeg powder – 1/4 tsp
- Salt to taste
- Boil water and add salt to it. Add 3/4 cup carrot, 1/2 cup potato and 1/2 cup beans. Cook for 3 mins. Add 1/4 cup peas and 1/2 cup cauliflower. So the vegetables come to 3 cups in total. Cook for 2 mins.
- Drain and remove the vegetables. Do not overcook. Drain water completely and set the vegetables aside. (You can use the drained water as vegetable stock for making soups.)
- Heat 1/4 cup butter. Let it melt. If you prefer you can add 1/2 tsp of finely chopped garlic and 2 tbsp of finely chopped onions. Add 1/4 cup flour. Keep whisking until no dry flour is seen.
- Add Naturals Malai ice cream and keep whisking simultaneously to avoid lump formation. Keep stirring until it starts to thicken. Cook on a low flame.
- The sauce will start to thicken within a few mins. Keep stirring. Once it starts to thicken, switch to a spatula. The sauce should coat the ladle.
- Add salt to taste, 1/2 tsp crushed pepper, 1/4 tsp nutmeg powder and 2 tbsp cheese.
- After adding cheese it will bubble up and become more creamy and thick. The white sauce is ready now. Add cooked vegetables to the sauce.
- Mix it well and cook for a minute before switching off the stove. The vegetables should be well coated with the sauce, which should not be very thick. The sauce should still be a little gooey.
- Vegetables in white sauce is ready.
- Preheat oven at 200 degree C for 10 mins. Transfer the vegetables in white sauce into a baking dish.
- Sprinkle 1/2 cup grated cheese to cover the top. Bake in preheated oven at 200 degree C for 20 mins. Change to grill mode for the last 2-3 mins to get a golden crusty top.
- Veg Au Gratin is ready to be served. Enjoy!